Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
I made chicken pot pies for Christmas dinner this year. My family loves them and it turns out I am the only one who likes spiral ham and I just can’t eat a whole ham myself again this year. I balance the comfort and decadence of the pie by using all white breast meat and serving with a fresh salad chuck full of crunchy veggies, walnuts, craisins to make it seasonal. It is not even that much work when you take advantage of a couple of prepared store bought ingredients and reuse cooking pots and bowls.
Your family will think you slaved away in the kitchen and you needn’t tell them any different!
*Serves 6, prep time 1 hour, cooking time 40 minutes
- ~3 lbs of skinless boneless chicken breast
- 4 cups baby carrots
- 2 medium-large potatoes, chopped
- 1 lb bag of baby peas
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 18 oz jars of prepared chicken gravy
- 2 packages of 2 frozen pies crusts
- In a 3 quart pot bring chicken breast to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes (until cooked throughout); remove chicken and let cool slightly on a cutting board, trim away any fat, and then chop into ½ inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and cover a cookie sheet with foil, set aside
- Place potatoes and carrots in chicken water and boil until soft (test for softness with a fork)
- In a glass mixing bowl, microwave peas on high for 7 minutes (use a really big bowl so you can use this bowl to combine all pie filling ingredients)
- In a pan, sauté onions and celery in the olive oil until soft and browned, add a little of the cooking water at the end to lift the coating from the pan
- In the bowl with the cooked peas, add the cubes of chicken, potatoes and carrots, onions and celery, and pour in the 2 jars of gravy; add a little salt and pepper and gently combine (you don’t want to smush the soft veggies)
- Take one set of pie crusts out of freezer, place on baking sheet and scoop half of the filling into each.
- Take the second set of pie crust out of the freezer and while they are still frozen gently remove them from their tins (*you may have to bend the tin back a little to get it started); place frozen pie shells on top of pies and let defrost then use a fork to crimp together the perimeters
- Place pies on cookie sheet into the preheated oven for 40 minutes, remove and let cool slightly before serving! And then just sit back and enjoy all the gratitude and compliments!