cheap,yum,fast,&relatively healthy dinner-Sicilian lentil soup mix add broiled sweet Italian sausage at end; serve w fresh whole grain bread
I prepared such a successful dinner last night I had to share it right away in a tweet! I am sharing it here for those who might have missed it and including a bit more detail.
I made Lentil soup with sweet Italian sausage and served it with fresh whole grain bread with butter. What makes this meal great is that it is yummy, relatively healthy, cheap, easy, and super fast! It cost around $10 to feed a family of 4 and almost all of us enjoyed it. I used a dry soup mix from Alessi: Sicilian Lentil Soup 6 oz. package. I simply followed the directions on the package (add soup mix to 4 1/2 cups of boiling water, reduce heat to medium for 12 minutes). While the soup is cooking, slice 5 sweet Italian sausages lengthwise and broil on both sides until brown. Remove them from the broiler and let them cool slightly before slicing into bite size pieces. Add them to the soup just before serving. You’re done!
And did you know that Health Magazine selected lentils as one of the five World’s Healthiest Foods?!
- They are a good source of cholesterol lowering fiber.
- They can help you manage blood sugar disorders because there high fiber prevents the rapid rising of blood sugar after meals.
- They are high in 6 important nutrients including vitamin B’s (including folic acid), magnesium, iron, and protein.
- They are also low in fat and calories.
- They are good for your digestive system.
- Studies have shown that foods high in fiber help prevent heart disease.
- Folic acid and magnesium also have heart health benefits
- And of course folic acid is important for women of child-bearing age.
Lentils also are rich in history too! They are mentioned in the bible and are one of the first foods to have been cultivated dating back 8000 years ago.