Jots about the bird…
- It’s not a bird, it’s a dragonfly, although you might think you saw or heard a hummingbird whizzing by.
- I believe it is an Autumn Meadowlark and I love the graceful way it is perched on that stem.
- Dragonflies can live five years but spend most of that time as larva.
- The largest fossilized dragonfly found had a 2 1/2 feet wingspan.
- They have two sets of wings just like biplanes!
Jots about the plane…
- It’s a biplane, an airplane with 2 sets of wings.
- Have 2 sets of wings allows them to be lighter and stronger although with modern materials these advantages are now obsolete and infact cause unwanted drag.
- The Wright brothers who created and successfully flew the first airplane in 1903 used a biplane design.
- Their father brought them home a rubber-band powered helicopter when they were kids which started their interest in flight.
- Looking for an adventurous way to see the sights on Cape Cod? How about a biplane ride!