This morning I have cold hands. How very fitting that the weather has turned very fall like on the eve of the first day of fall. I am sure by the time my summer clothes are just about buried beneath sweaters and jeans it will warm up again but in the meantime I am rubbing my hands together! And as I am doing this I am thinking about how cool this little scientific principle is.
It is why you can make fire by rubbing two sticks together. Pretty cool right?!
Ways to Warm Your Hands
- You can insulate your hands in mittens or pockets which works by reducing heat loss.
- Another way you can warm you hands is by raising your overall body temperature by putting on a sweater or exercising.
- You can hold a warm drink or sit on your hands which transfers heat through conduction or direct contact.
- If you hold you hands over a register, the warm air blowing would be heating your hands through convection.
- And if you hold your hands over a radiator you would be heating your hands through, you guessed it radiations, which is the heat being transferred from one molecule to the next.