It was COLD today! I think our beautiful fall has come and gone and I am now feeling the desire to hibernate. For half the year I am either curled up in bed under the blankets or wishing I was. Cape Cod winters are a little more mild than inland but what we lack in frigid we make up for in desolate. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t find winter depressing. It can be beautiful. It is just a little harder to enjoy that beauty when you can’t feel your toes.
So without further ado…
- When going outside for more than 3 minutes bundle yourself as you bundle your kids. Warm moms are happy moms. Don’t have warm mom gear? Wear dad’s or layer, layer, layer. Think The Man Who Wore All His Clothes.
- Look for indoor activities that get you out of the house; we spend lots of time at the library and when we have worn out our welcome we travel to neighboring libraries.
- Clean your slider or picture window and set up a nice viewing area. When it is too cold you can sit and enjoy the view. We set up a bird feeder last winter and got a lot of enjoyment watching those squirrels.
- Hibernate and make no apologies. Snuggle, read, family time, what is wrong with any of that?!
- Have fun at home with board games. My kids enjoy board games although they are not crazy about winners and losers. For that reason our favorite is still Orchard.
Now for the lightning round…
- Freeze dance or obstacle course
- Soups, stews and baking cookies
- Hot beverages
- Rearrange your living room furniture
- Take a sunny day drive
How do you make it through winter with kids? Please share your tips!